Saturday, January 22, 2011

Go to the mattresses…

If you are familiar with the movie The Godfather , you have probably heard the phrase “go to the mattresses”. It simply means to prepare for battle. In times of war, Italian families would vacate their homes and rent apartments in safer areas. In order to protect themselves they would hire soldiers to sleep on mattresses on the floor.

What battles are you preparing for?

We are all fighting some type of battle. Some people struggle with weight, others with depression, and others loneliness.. Some people struggle with all three and then some. The list is endless. It does seem hopeless, but I can’t help but believe that no matter what the struggle there is a bigger picture, a way to the surface for a drowning soul.

I went to the store tonight. Didn’t really have anything to get; just needed to get out of the house. It’s a lonely night and with out my 3 kids, this house seems very empty. When I was checking out, a beautiful woman probably in her 50’s began talking to me while she was ringing up and bagging my groceries. Most of what was said was just normal chit chat.. It wasn’t until I picked up the last bag that she said something that caught my attention. She said, “You have to know that there’s a greater picture. You just have to wait it out child. You just have to wait it out.” Now I so wanted to ask her what it was she was referring to, but she had already begun scanning the people’s things that were in line behind me. What did she mean? I didn’t say anything to her that would lead her to make that statement. I am still wondering, I can’t lie.

It definitely got me thinking. One of the biggest battles I fight is with patience. I see what I want and I go after it, whether I am ready for what ever it is or not. Deep down I know that God is in control, I know that He will never give me more than I can handle. Shoot, that is easy to deal with. BUT I also know that God will never give me anything that I am not ready to have. THAT’s the hard part! I know exactly what I want! I can see it in front of me just out of my reach, and I can’t have it. That’s my battle, accepting that I have to wait. Well.. I hear that the first step to recovery it admitting you have a problem. Now here’s the question: How do I prepare and fight  his battle?

Instead of placing a horse head in my bed, God placed a beautifully, knowledgeable, 50- something woman in front of me. Believe me I am grateful! I don’t think I could have dealt with waking up to a horse head. One day things will all fall into place- I BELIEVE that with all my heart! Just ready for “waiting for great things” not to be such a battle.  I am just so so ready! UGH!

January 22, 2011 is almost over.. Go on and enjoy it, because it’s the only one you will ever get! Good night and sleep well so that you will wake up ready to "go to the mattresses!"

2 comments: